Saturday, June 2, 2007

Consumed By Him

Jeremiah 20:9 (NKJV) says, "Then I said, "I will not make mention of Him, Nor speak anymore in His name." But His word was in my heart like a burning fire Shut up in my bones; I was weary of holding it back, And I could not."

Jeremiah was a prophet who faced so much struggle and despair. He faced so much opposition that he is often called "the Weeping Prophet", because he was often hurt and discoraged by a disobedient people that he was sent to minister to. Jeremiah may have had to endure struggle and many times felt weary in well doing, but none of it mattered because Jeremiah was consumed by God.

The text uses the metaphor of fire to illustrate the intensity of Jeremiah's relationship with God. Fire is one of the most powerful and destructive elements on the face of the earth. It radically changes everything that it touches, consuming objects in intense fashion. We should be so consumed by God that when you want to give up, you can't. When you want to sin, you can't. Be so consumed by God that it is hard for an onlooker to tell where you end and God begins.

B-Blessed!

No comments: